20100715

Prayer for the Wayward

It's rare that I actually pick up a pen to write, but it still happens from time to time. Last night there was a burden in my spirit and I couldn't sleep. So, I picked up my journal and wrote the following raw and unedited text, which is dedicated to all my wayward friends...

Oh brother, what is it that drives you to live like this? Why have you chosen this path? The narcotic is a bitter mistress; whatever drove you to her to begin with? I see it in your eyes; you know things have to change. You want it desperately. You know you need it. And yet you refuse it anyway. You will scour the countryside, turn over every rock, peer in every hole, searching for anything but the solution that is right in your face. The truth may not be easy, but it is straightforward. You cannot pretend he is your savior if you refuse to let him be your sovereign. It's all or nothing, so give him all, or you will be left with nothing. This is your solution; this is the solution. It is the only way to find what your heart seeks.

Oh sister, what is it that drives you to live like this? Why have you chosen this path? The embrace of your many "lovers" has left you nothing but hollow emptiness; why do you seek yet another? The love you desperately long for will never be found in any man, save one. But this is the very one that you ignore. You will go to every party, chase every relationship, share every bed, listening to any voice except the one that is calling your name. The truth may not be tangible, but it is trustworthy. You can't pretend he has your life if he doesn't have your love. It's all or nothing, so find your love in him, or never find it at all. This is your solution; this is the solution. It is the only way to find what your heart seeks.

Oh God, what drives me to live like this? Why do I walk this path? I so often know what your will is, but am too cowardly to carry it out. My spirit urges me to move, but I stand in place instead. I will speak on every subject, pursue every pointless distraction, take on every tedious task, do anything instead of confront those I care about. The truth may not be all-popular, but it is all-powerful. I cannot pretend to be a friend if I will not reach for those who are falling. It's all or nothing, so break my heart over all wayward souls, or I will grieve over nothing. You are my solution; You are the solution. Use me God to show the way to what all hearts seek.

No comments: